About Me

My Photo
My name is Kirby, I am a junior in high school. On this blog i am actually doing a research project. I love reading about Jesus' disciples. I also think we can all learn a lesson or two from them. So i will be updating all the info I find for you to read. I am very excited about this project I hope you will enjoy reading it. :)

Monday, April 12, 2010

James (Jesus' Brother)


This week, I decided to mix things up a little, and talk about Jesus' brother,also a disciple. Can you even imagine what it would be like to be related to Jesus? I know I can't. Think about it, "James knew how Jesus liked his eggs cooked; how He reacted after hitting His thumb with a hammer; how He handled incidents of sibling rivalry; His favorite games (Harmon 43)."

Here are the facts, which are few in number because there were 4 known James in the new testament, and sometimes experts aren't exactly sure which is which.
Some say that James didn't even become a believer until after Jesus' death and resurrection. This James could be the James in the Bible that went on to become the head of the first century church in Jerusalem (but with 4 James who knows?).He preached in Spain before his death where he is now considered a Saint. He is thought to have written the book of James, and he was executed in the late AD 60s. King Herod Agrippa had him killed by a sword during the persecution of the church.

I'm not sure I agree with the people that say James didn't become a christian until after Jesus died and was resurrected, because aren't disciples people who followed in faith not just in sight? I don't think James would have been one of Jesus' two closest disciples if he didn't believe in the work of Christ. Now do I think that James might not have know that Jesus would save the world through his crucifixion? Absolutely, James could have believed in the work Jesus was doing but how do you tell your brother that you are going to die a horrible death just so a bunch of sinners you have never even talked to or aren't even born yet will live eternally? You don't. I'm not saying Jesus didn't tell him these things, he very well could have, but it isn't recorded in the Bible.

Harmon, Dan. Men of the Bible. Uhrichsville, Oh: Barbour & Company Inc., 43-44. Print.

1 comment: